apexmage

Speeding 155 In 100 (401 Wb)

by: apexmage on

On a Sunday morning at 831am late for church I was pulled over doing 155 in a 100 on the 401 WB by the OPP. I was not charged with stunt or racing, he let me keep my car and license. I have a paralegal representing me but theyre not very responsive and Im nervous if I should get a full lawyer or not or if its even worth it. What am I looking at for a fine? For insurance increase? For jail time? What should I do??

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The fine for 50 kilometres per hour or more over the speed limit is $9.75 for each kilometre per hour over the limit.

So 55 x $9.75 = $536.25, then you add the victim surcharge of $125.00 and $5 in Court costs. So the minimum total fine will be $666.25. The Court can also impose a 30 day licence suspension on your first conviction.

I can pretty much guarantee you will not get any type of fine reduction after the break you were already given in regards to stunt driving.

apexmage

by: apexmage on

Thanks for the info. Why or why wouldnt the court opt for the 30 day susprnsion? Would the court always take a non-issue of stunt/racing on the cops part as a break? Maybe he knows one or the other would be dropped anyways so just did bother? Maybe he was just a nice guy? Haha. Would I be given jail time for it if I dont get a reduction?

Are there any programs offered in ontario for driving courses etc that would reduce the number of points on my license? I know they have that in Alberta, not sure if its here too?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Your driving history (past convictions) and offence particulars (i.e. speeding on a highway versus speeding through a school zone) would probably both be factors considered by the Court in terms of determining a suspension. You cant be incarcerated for speeding (only stunt driving) so you dont have to worry about jail.

The Crown will probably consider the fact you weren't charged with stunt driving as a serious break. I wouldn't expect much in the way of any further reduction (maybe a plea to 49 over?). As to why the officer gave you such a break, its anyones guess. The way the HTA reads police are pretty much required to seize your licence and impound your vehicle if youre caught going 50+. It's the first I've heard of an officer actually proceeding with a 50+ over charge without laying the stunt driving.

There are no diversions programmes in Ontario for H.T.A. offences.

Post a Reply