A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

devin98

Fail To Surrender Valid Permit For Motor Vehicle

by: devin98 on

Not sure the right place for this so if it needs to be moved please do so.

I was stopped today for 15 over the speed limit, I gave all the documents to the officer and he said he could not accept a photocopy of my ownership only the original I had a photo copy front and back and I had my plate sticker number with it.

he gave me a ticket for HWY ACT Section 7(5)(a) he said only the original would be accepted and specifically said it needed to have serrated edges. I have it at home but was always under the impression to only keep a copy in the car in case it is stolen the car can not be signed over, guess i was wrong about that the original is now in the car.

I received the ticket for the 15 over also.

If I show up for a meeting with the prosecutor with the original and the sticker what are the odds it will be thrown out?

-Devin

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The officer needs some remedial HTA lessons.

Permit requirements

7.(5) Subject to subsection (6), every driver of a motor vehicle on a highway shall carry,

(a) the permit for it or a true copy thereof;

It sounds like you met all the criteria; a copy of the full permit, front and back including the most recent plate sticker. The ticket should be tossed. If not request disclosure and go to trial.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

devin98 wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I will select option 2 and meet with the prosecutor with the original and the photocopy I had with me at the time. Now my stick was not attached to the photocopy I had it on the original slip with the photocopy but I assume they are not that picky.

In that case the charge is correct. I thought you meant the sticker was on the ownership. You must have the most recent validation sticker (the one that matches the sticker on your plate) attached to the back of your ownership. Any copies of your ownership need to be updated with this anytime you renew your permit. It may sound picky but it's the actual legal requirement. It's technically no different then driving around with your plate sticker in the glovebox instead of on the actual plate. The Crown may still be lenient and withdraw the charge but you did commit the offence.

devin98

by: devin98 on

ok I didn't know that i thought as long as I had the other sticker with me it was ok, I did show the officer that sticker along with the owner ship

(sticker that should have been on the original ownership)

So just so I understand moving forward I need to place the sticker on the owner ship at home then photocopy it and keep the photocopy in the car?

Post a Reply