mark_12

Apparently I Have A Suspended Dl

by: mark_12 on

Hi, so I don't really have much knowledge about this kind of stuff but here it goes. I came home the other day to find the letter of notice of suspension in the mail. All it said was it was suspended for not paying the fine on a ticket. I was extremely confused and a little relieved. I had been driving 13 days with a suspended licence and had no clue. After calling around a few places I learned it was a ticket for failing to surrender my drivers licence. The ticket was issued to a car with a licence plate I have no idea whose it is but all of my other info was correct. (name, address). I also happened to be able to track my exact location of the date and time of the ticket to somewhere around 40km away. I was not even driving anything that day. I got dropped off with a friend at the beginning of the day and picked up by three other people at the end of the night going no where near the place the ticket was issued.

After having to arrange time off from work, I got someone to drive me an hour out to the court offices to try and figure out what to do next. I ended up filling out a notice to appear in court and wrote an affidavit saying pretty much the same as above. I am now waiting to hear my court date. Now what do I need to do to be ready for this? What do I need to have with me to be prepared?

Side notes - only other incident on my driving record was a small speeding ticket from almost 2 years ago. Also, how did I end up in this situation? How can such a mistake be made? I assume I will get everything worked out but why should I have to take away from making money to deal with something that is not even a little but my fault? Am I wrong to be upset by this?

Any comments or advice please.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

mark_12 wrote:Also, how did I end up in this situation? How can such a mistake be made?

Ticket was for failure to surrender drivers license. I'm assuming someone used your information and pretended to be you while they were pulled over. Possible scenario includes this person knowing they aren't supposed to drive and is some sort of friend, relative, or acquaintance who has planned for this very situation.

I'd guess you'd probably want to report this to the police and not wait till your trial. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Post a Reply