The Ontario Highway Traffic Act section 78.1(1) deals with Hand-held devices and distracted driving.
JimWD

Handheld Device Ticket?

by: JimWD on

I know it was stupid of me, I've just been very stressed recently with my wife going through Post Partum and being off the deep end. She's refused help for months, and now that she finally talked to a doctor about it, shes at risk and I really am going nuts over it. Anyways I called her to check up on her, I know I shouldn't but the thought of her not being on the other end scares the *EDIT* out of me.

I got the ticket, and I was going to pay it, it's entirely my fault. BUT, I've had my G2 for like 3 years, and apparently instead of 3 points it's going to be a 30 day suspension. Is there anything I could do about this?

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

by: UnluckyDuck on

The only way to do that is to beat the ticket in court. What you would have to do is plead NOT GUILTY and request a TRIAL with the officer present. Once you get your court date, you can request disclosure (officer's notes) and post it here to get our opinions. I wouldn't suggest getting an early resolution meeting because it's the same meeting you have when you check in on your trial date, and they won't drop the charge (which is what you need). From what I've seen in court, they don't change the charge to something else, just reduce the fine ($150 if i recall correctly) if you take a plea deal, which would give you the 30 day suspension regardless.

Just something to keep in mind, the 30 day suspension DOES NOT affect insurance rates.

screeech

by: screeech on

A conviction for that offence is only 3 points, unless you have other points on your licence you shouldn't get the suspension. A G1 or G2 driver gets the 30 day suspension when they get 4 points in total.

JimWD

by: JimWD on

G1, G2, M1 and M2 drivers don't get points for using a cellphone.

Just an automatic 30 day suspension.

• Instead of demerit points youll face:
  • a 30-day licence suspension for a first conviction
  • a 90-day licence suspension for a second conviction
  • cancellation of your licence and removal from the Graduated Licensing System (GLS) for a third conviction
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

The original poster is correct. When they increased the fines and points last year, handheld device charge became apart of the Escalating Sanctions programs. 30 days for first offense, 90 for second, cancellation for third. It can be combined with any 4 point violation.

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

by: UnluckyDuck on

screeech wrote:A conviction for that offence is only 3 points, unless you have other points on your licence you shouldn't get the suspension. A G1 or G2 driver gets the 30 day suspension when they get 4 points in total.

A G1 or G2 driver gets suspended for 30 days when:

-They Disobey a Driving Restriction (BAC over 0, more passengers between 12am-5am)

-Recieve a total of 6 points.

-Recieve a conviction for an offence that carries 4 or more demerit points

-Recieves a Hand-held Device Ticket

They added the handheld ticket recently (when the fine added points), so if you have a G1 or G2 and get a handheld device ticket, you get a 30 day suspension.

Post a Reply