Unreliability Of Breath Test Machines

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, hwybear, Reflections, admin, Decatur, bend

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

First of all this is nothing to do with the Highway Traffic Act and secondly it's being appealed.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

UnluckyDuck wrote:It could if the breath sample resulted in a 3 day administrative suspension.

Yes and no. The instrument in questions (Intoxilyzer 8000C) wouldn't be used for roadside readings. It's a large instrument that's typically used at the police station for testing impaired/over 80 drivers. That being said, if the reading from a roadside device was disputed, you could be taken back to the station to provide a sample into the Intoxilyzer. You could also possibly blow under the legal limit back at the station but still register over 50 and get a suspension. Of course even the expert witness acknowledges that you need a "perfect storm" of sorts to obtain a significant error that's not in the defendent's favour.

It will be an interesting case to follow because if appeal Court actually rules breath samples as being unreliable, the only solution I could think of would be a switch to blood samples. Then of course you'd have experts talking about how the alcohol swab the defendent got wiped with before having blood withdrawn tainted the readings. ;)

I hope Mr. Singh has significant money for his legal defence because I can easily see this going to the Supreme Court.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

Certainly the Crown will run this one all the way.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !