A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

anon737

Unpaid Fines

by: anon737 on

hello, new member. originally from Niagara falls. live in alberta now. I want to come home, but I have a lot of unpaid fines from about 15 years ago in Ontario. I have an alberta license and will need one in Ontario. I don't think I can get one. If fines are sent to a collection agency, do they go away after 15 years?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

What kind of fines are we talking about? Parking tickets or tickets against your license?

No, the fines don't get any better. I'd also inquire to see if your license has been suspended in Ontario before you consider driving here with ANY license.

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

Just to build on what bend said... IF your license in Ontario is suspended for non payment of fines, then you cannot drive at all in Ontario even with an Alberta licence. You will be charged with driving with a suspended license. You cannot say in your defense that I wasn't aware because I never got a letter.

screeech

by: screeech on

I have seen a person charged for drive under suspension for unpaid fines from the 70's...As stated above, they won't ever go away. It is quite common for a person to be suspended in Ontario and use a relatives address in another province to get a new licence thinking they can drive in Ontario, they can't. They will be charged for driving with a licence from another jurisdiction while under suspension. The fine and penalty are the same.

Post a Reply