A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

jman

Towing An Un-plated Trailer

by: jman on

I recently imported a trailer from Michigan. I couldn't find if it was acceptable to tow it (un-plated) if I had just bought them.

Before travelling I called the local licensing office to see if I could get a temporay plate for the trailer since I read that it is illegal to tow an un-licensed trailer in Ontario. They told me that trailers did not get temporary plates. I explained the situation to the lady and she said that she didn't know what I could do.

I ended asking the previous owner to allow me to use their plate which I then sent back to them.

So the question is, if I'm just towing the trailer from the seller's address to mine, can I do it without a plate? if I get pulled over, will I get a ticket or get the trailer impounded?

In addition you need to take the trailer to Canadian Tire to get it inspected before you can get a plate.

I was told that that is acceptable in Michigan, what about Ontario?

jman

paul1913 wrote:You need a plate and insurance. Go to MTO and get a temp plate..

As I said, I went to the MTO office and they do not issue temporary plates for trailers. In addition, how could they for a trailer that hasn't been imported yet.

jman

FyreStorm wrote:She's mistaken, go get a SERVICE PLATE.

Thanks for the info, but I got this from the MTO website:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... aler.shtml
A new applicant for a Service Plate/Permit must present a letter on company letterhead, outlining the reasons why the plate is required. A trailer dealer must present a Class A garage licence.
Private use of motor vehicles or trailers with a service plate is not permitted.
The Stig

by: The Stig on

Not familiar with the administration side of it with Service Ontario but yes you can get a temp permit for a trailer. It gets displayed on the windshield of the towing vehicle.

Post a Reply