A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Greywolf Ghost

Suspended License: Over 13 Years, How Do I Fix My Mess?

by: Greywolf Ghost on

I could set out the whole story...but in short I was suspended for unpaid fines about 13 years ago...mostly job related..(10 km over in a 50, improper left..). Needless to say when Suspended the job went away. So I just gave up, and figured I was never going to be able to drive again. Had to pay rent, food, child support.

Now I do not fully remember total of fines, but they were in around $2500 total 13 years ago.

I have now started to think I would like to work my way back and I am guessing start over again with a G1 (if that is first level ) and with hope get an M added.

Friends have told me after so many years fines have been wiped.....as I have never heard from a collection agent about this ( have filed taxes).

So what steps would I take to find old information to see if I still owe ???

If my friends are wrong has interest been gathering on the total all this time??? So I would owe just south of the National Debt???

I am at a total loss to know where to go or what to ask of whom....

Any info, links, or advise that could be offered would be greatly thanked !!!!

Many Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

stop into the closest licencing bureau and ask. Then you will be faced with 2 choices:

- yes, there is outstanding fees, go to closest court house and find out how to start making payments

- no, apply for your G1 and M1 licence

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

In some cases, as hwybear says, you can make some sort of payment arrangements - instalments, etc. Once your outstanding fines are paid, you should be able to get your licence re-instated - if you have outstanding fines. I doubt if they've wiped the fines out, but do some checking and see how it goes. I don't know how much interest would have been applied, if any.

Good luck.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Greywolf Ghost

Ok update #1 .....

It's funny my friends had me almost talked into thinking maybe things were wiped......not the case Government it seems has a long memory !!!

I went to what is now called Service Ontario Office (Old MTO). The Lady behind the counter was Friendly and a great help.

I am still in the system ( found my old DL#), and yes I am still Suspended ( as I kept telling my friends). She snapped a new Pic of me, Updated my address...even helped me with my Old OHIP Card updated address.

( Yes I am slow to change address on things...a very bad habbit).

So now I have to go to local Court House, find out what fines are....I guess I will have to talk to someone to make agreement to pay.....and this is my worry.....interest for over 12 years.

If I pay off fines....

$150 Fee to Service Ontario , then either I am given a Temp or I will have to write a test...she could not say what will be required.

Well Monday I will go to the Court House, and see what fate awaits me. I have a feeling nothing short of a 649 win will help me lol , but it's my own fault !!!!!

Oh well time to take my lumps!!

Radar Identified

Well it sounds like you're starting off on the right track. And I'd also add that you are doing the responsible and respectable thing going about it in this manner.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
sugar_foot4

by: sugar_foot4 on

Greywolf, I am glad to hear I am not the only one in this kind of situation. Granted, I couldn't drive 13 years ago, but I too have some unpaid tickets that I've been too ashamed/embarrassed/stupid to face until now, and I also didn't know where to start. Thanks to your post, I feel a little better knowing I'm not alone in facing this, and I now have a little more courage to take responsibility for my actions.

To Admins: Am I correct in thinking that Ontario will accept payment for overdue New Brunswick tickets? I understand their reciprocity agreement, but not sure if that extends to overdue fines.

Thanks all :)

Greywolf Ghost

Update #2

I am sorry it has taken so long to update, but getting over fear of the unknown is hard....today I man'd up and faced what ever fate awaited me...it was time to take my lumps and do the right thing!!

My biggest fear, was I may have had a bench warrent for me for a Fail to Appear.....this all comes from the day I had my crash in the company truck.

I was handed the 2 big tickets......Careless ( t-bone of the car in the intersection), and Driving Under Suspention...(did not know as I never got a Letter in mail).

So no matter what....8:30 am I was at the court house, plan ready to have a Lawyer if taken into custody with a text on phone....I got the ticket window.....met A Very Nice Lady who was very helpful and friendly and saw I looked like I was scared....

She typed my DL# into her computer, told me I had 4 tickets on the #......for a total of $1110 way less then I thought...and 1 less then I remember, so I asked not 5...to which she said no her screen show 5 was paid.

Thanks to me dropping off the grid, the realy big Ticket reverted back to my old company, as they got hit for putting me on the road in a rental truck I was not to be driving...and over the weight rating for the truck.

They got hit way back when for just over $5000, as I was totally unaware I was in wrong truck, and over weight.

Ryder didn't match the trucks on service calls...they just guessed.

In any case that $1500 was paid for me, as I dropped off the grid.

I paid 2 of the 4 tickets on the spot...and I will pay the other 2 A.S.A.P. !!!!!!

Then I will be back to being on the right side of the Law !!!!!!!!

I know this whole thing may seem stupid...however I have never run a foul of the Law before...so I did not know what to do, what to expect, and how bad or good things were......this has been 13 years of having a black hole follow me, and now that I turned on the light and looked it is not all bad !!!

Sugar_Foot I hope all works as well for you as for me !!! All the luck to you, because I know how it can feel to not know and to think the worst!!!

Good luck and God's speed !!!

I can say when you face it, and you look back, you feel like a 10,000 pound weight is off your shoulders !!!!!!!

Radar Identified

Soon you'll be all set to go. Once all of the fines are paid, you can then get your licence re-instated ($150 reinstatement fee). Looks like that will happen reasonably soon.

Post a Reply