A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

nkehler

Registration In Ontario

by: nkehler on

Ive been trying to find any information on the requirement to have a car registered. For example, I moved from BC to Ontario, and had an old truck I had no immediate intentions of putting on the road. If I were parking it on private property, does it need to be registered?

As well, who has the right to order a vehicle towed if it doesnt have registration. Can any person do this, or just a police officer?

Thanks

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Section 7 of the HTA states it's an offence if the vehicle is being operated on the roadway while unregistered. Unless there's another subsection that states otherwise, I think you're in the clear if the vehicle is simply parked on private property. Otherwise, you have 30 days from moving to Ontario to register the vehicle.

In regards to towing authority, police have it under the HTA, but many muncipalities have bylaws, etc. that regulate unplated/unregistered vehicles. Some will ticket unplated/expired plates even on private property, not sure if they can also tow. Also if your parking area is shared (i.e an apartment parking lot) the property could also have your vehicle towed if they have any issues with unplated cars.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

only issue, is if there happened to be an emergency with family member somewhere and police were trying to locate you.... if you havent switched over your "drivers licence" (not vehicle) police would not be able to be find your address easily to pass along the message

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply