A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

ps2king

Police Lights On A Car

by: ps2king on

Hi guys,

I own a black Dodge Charger and also a car detailing business on the side to help pay for school etc. I use my car as a means for advertising for my business and am putting vinyl and decals on it with my business name. I plan on using the police lights my friend got me at local car shows and occasionally at my clients locations.

As a gift my friend bought me police lights off of ebay. They are white LEDs with a clear lens but when turned on emit a blue and red light. I was debating whether or not to put them on but after speaking to a Sargeant with the OPP I was told it was okay. Here's what I know.

-I Know that it is illegal for me to use them on ALL roadways.

-The only time I can use them is on private property.

The Sarge asked me if they had blue or red covers in the front and when I told him they were clear he said that's okay just as long as I don't use them.

If the local authorities can also chime in that would be awesome.

Thanks,

cruzmisl

by: cruzmisl on

As long as you don't use them on a highway and they don't interfere with the normal operation of the vehicle you can install them.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

I would recommend installing a "main" kill switch for the lights in the trunk too. That way the lights are guaranteed to remain off until at the display. Last you would need is someone saying your lights were on and you get stopped. I would not even drive in a parking lot with the lights activated, again all you need is someone to complain and you might go down a path of impersonating a police officer.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
ps2king

by: ps2king on

hwybear wrote:I would not even drive in a parking lot with the lights activated, again all you need is someone to complain and you might go down a path of impersonating a police officer.

Okay, I will try to get install a switch in my trunk.

Also, What are the consequences that follow impersonating a police officer?

Thanks for your replies hwybear and cruzmisl.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply