A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Komitet

by: Komitet on

From the HTA.

21. (1) Subject to subsection (2), number plates for a motor vehicle shall

be attached to the rear thereof.

(2) The number plate issued for a truck-tractor shall be attached to the

front thereof.

(3) Every number plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a

horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent

the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than 300 mm from the

ground measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position

clearly visible and legible and shall be maintained free from foreign

materials.

9 times out of 10 you may get away with it, but you CAN be ticketed for it.

Science will fly you to the moon, religion will fly you into buildings.
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The actual offence for tinted plate covers falls under section 13 of the HTA.

Number plate to be kept clean

(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

I've seen some posters in my local MTO office advising motorists not to use ANY type of plate cover. Even clear, tint free covers can make plates harder to read, especially at night.

While plate covers are very popular, if you look at the small print on the box they typically say "for off road/show use only". Retailers have no obligation to ensure the accessories they sell are actually legal for road use.

While your plate cover is very patriotic, I would argue it's not legal.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

It really comes down to whether, if you are charged, the officer can articulate to the judge how whatever cover you had "obstructed" the plate. That's going depend on a case by case assessment of the cover, the officer's ability to articulate, and the JP's willingness to accept. There are no hard and fast rules to give you an answer here.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Observer135

Posting Awards

by: Observer135 on

I doubt any officer would pull over a driver for a plate that hardly covers anything, unless he/she committed another offence and has been pulled over for it, then the officer may decide to slap on a second charge as well.

Lets face it, police officers are not out there just to give drivers a hard time, contrary to popular believe, but the do have a job to do...

I've seen some plates that obstruct the view of the plate from an angle, now, those plate covers will definitely cost you a ticket...

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Most certainly would stop that cover - confuse identity of plate along with the Blue/grey/yellow/pink covers all for confuse identity of plate. Only ones that I do not stop is the clear covers, protects the plate from stones, protects validation sticker from theft and proper colour of plate can still be seen

Now with the after market back-up cameras...those are covering the word "Ontario" on the plate and get stopped for obstruct plate.

Plus as Stanton puts it...all covers come with the disclaimer on the package not for highway use, novelty use only.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I find even clear plate covers can be problematic unless they're regularly cleaned on both sides. They seem to have a knack for trapping dirt inside making the plates underneath much harder to read. Some of them also interact weirdly with certain vehicles' plate lights. It's hard to explain but it looks like the cover itself is glowing while the plate stays dark.

I know tinted covers may not sound like an enforcement priority, but being able to easily read plates is important for many reasons. First, think of how many automated systems there are now that read your plates. Two big examples are the toll cameras along Highway 407 and growing number of red light cameras in various municipalities. I'd hazard a guess that the OPP who patrol along the 407 are much less tolerant with tinted plate covers since they regularly deal with scammers trying to evade tolls.

Even your everyday police officer on regular patrol wants to be able to quickly and clearly read your plate. Murphy's law states that the day you get pulled over because the officer can't make out your validation sticker, is also the same day you left your licence, ownership and proof of insurance at home. ;)

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

by: FyreStorm on

I stopped a guy who had a photocopy of a plate mounted on cardboard behind a plastic cover cause he couldn't get plates...the covers hid that fact except I stopped him for something else and was seizing plates when I discovered it.

See the problems we can have with these stupid covers.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Personally I do not have plate covers, nor do I want any. They don't provide any tangible benefit, and they introduce the risk of being pulled over and ticketed.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply