A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

CSGuy

E-mails As Evidence At Trial?

by: CSGuy on

Hello

I received an email from a city employee that works for that city's traffic department confirming that the vehicle detection loops were not working (damaged due to construction) when I received a ticket for going through a red light.

2 questions plz. Can I print out the email an introuce as evidence at trial? Also, would that be a defence I could use (ie.detection loops not working properly)?

Thanks.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I don't think the e-mail would be accepted as evidence. You'd probably need to call the City employee as a witness, or possibly at the very least get some type of notarized letter.

As for your second question, which detection loop are your referring to? The one that changes the light? Are you saying the light wouldn't change at all?

Not sure that would be an acceptable defence, or if the Courts would simply expect you to make a right turn versus going straight through.

CSGuy

by: CSGuy on

Thanks Stanton that is what I suspected about the emails.

Detection loops that sense when car is ontop to change lights. My argument was going to be that those loops are integral part of the traffic light system. If one part of that system was not working properly (ie. loops) then there is a possibility that the lights werent working as they should.

thanks again.

Post a Reply