A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

hwybear

Posting Awards

Interesting - Speed Vs Collisions Avoidance

by: hwybear on

I just completed an refresher training course on driving this past week. The instructor has been teaching for well over 15yrs and is the lead instructor, he has been all over North America. It was interesting to control a car in snow/ice/paved conditions. We reviewed collisions, collision avoidance etc.

The most interesting part was about the loss of control point vs speed, which I have never thought of. That anyone can pretty much point a car down the road and drive at whatever speed. However, the greater the speed the less ability the driver will have to control a car while attempting an evasive manoveur even (swerving to avoid another vehicle, child, animal, cyclist etc..) The critical speed is 120km/hr (75mph) where anything over that speed and an evasive manoveur is attempted you WILL lose control.

**edit** This is based on ideal conditions - dry pavement, good tires, good brakes, mechanically checked vehicle + controlled environment **

I do not promote speed, just think about that tidbit should you get close to that speed. Sure your family would rather you arrive 10min late that not at all.

Cheers

HB

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
puzzled

by: puzzled on

I agree that the speed you indicated might be a top end in order to avoid a collision during moderate or light conditions, but feel that at severe snow or ice conditons it is much lower. I may be wrong here, but at high speeds on slippery conditions you have less pounds per square inch making contact with the surface for a longer period of time. Almost like walking on ice and then trying to run on ice. Your going to hit the ground. During this past week we have seen many different winter conditons. Light, heavy snow, and drizzle creating icy conditions this past Friday. In a previous post I gave my observations in regards to the mentality of drivers on different highways. Many mornings the 400 was not cleared or salted until you reach Hwy 7, yet drivers were flying down the highway and off it too, taking out guardrails in the process. Again this Friday, at around 5 a.m on the southboubd 400 I observed drivers passing me and others at a speed of at least 120 k/mh on severe icy roads, and tailgating others. 680 news was reporing multiple single vehicle accidents from all areas. Yet, when I got on the 407, drivers seemed to drive according to the road conditions. On the Tuesday of the large snowfall, YRP reported 86 accidents in a 12 hour period. When are people going to learn to slow down and give some space in this weather? What is ten minutes more going to do to their lives? Sometimes I wish I could pull some of these drivers over and just give them a slap in the head.

Take the mystery out of driving. Use your turn signal.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Puzzled - thanks, forgot to throw in that part ... I have now... Yes time will be extended, keep forgetting most travel farther than my 1.7km to work

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

The critical speed is 120km/hr (75mph) where anything over that speed and an evasive manoveur is attempted you WILL lose control.

**edit** This is based on ideal conditions - dry pavement, good tires, good brakes, mechanically checked vehicle + controlled environment **

So, we can raise speed limits to 120......J/K

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Post a Reply