How Do I Make A Plea-bargain?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

Daniel312

How Do I Make A Plea-bargain?

Unread post by Daniel312 »

I was given a 110$ fine for failure to stop at a stop sign, I pleaded not guilty and have received a court date for Jan 2014.

I don't mind paying the fine, but i really don't want to be convicted or have my insurance increase!

I have been advised to make a plea-bargain with the prosecutor. How would I go about doing this? Do I call the prosecutors office and request it or do i only do this during the court date?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

If you already have a court date, you can just show up like you would have normally. If there is room on your charge to offer you a deal, they will do so before they start any trials. You'll have a room full of others with the same trial time as you and you'll all get in line. Offers will be made one after the other.

Daniel312

Unread post by Daniel312 »

bend wrote:If you already have a court date, you can just show up like you would have normally. If there is room on your charge to offer you a deal, they will do so before they start any trials. You'll have a room full of others with the same trial time as you and you'll all get in line. Offers will be made one after the other.

What do you think the chance is that I will be offered a plea-bargain that makes my offence simply a municipal by-law infraction without any demerit points? I don't mind paying the fine, I just don't want it to effect my insurance.

So to my understanding, I don't have a choice to tell them that I want the above, in which case they can agree or disagree. They will just offer me the same deal as everyone else?

Thanks for the help