A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

nrgshah

Got A Ticket For An Expired Sticker In Gatineau??

by: nrgshah on

Hi All!

I got the most ridiculous ticket in Quebec.

I went to Le Nordik spa last week, My car was parked on Le Nordik property (private). My plate was expired by a few days .

Yesterday, I received a 480$ ticket in the mail telling me that I have been charged under section 6 of the Highway Safty code for failing to register your vehicle.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can deal with this ticket?

leehoewonek

Posting Awards

by: leehoewonek on

This is a pretty well known issue for Ottawa drivers. In Ontario you'll often just get a warning and be told to bring in your updated registration as proof, with no fine levied. Even if there is a fine, I believe it's around $80. But on the Quebec side, their police are notorious for scanning every Ontario plate, looking to hand out a $500 fine, no warnings, no leniency. I heard about this when I moved to Ottawa 20 years ago, and am always very careful about my stickers because of it.

As for how to deal with it, I've never heard of anyone beating this charge. If you do manage to beat it, let us know how you did it.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

nrgshah wrote:I went to Le Nordik spa last week, My car was parked on Le Nordik property (private). My plate was expired by a few days .

The same thing could happen here. Depending on the bylaws in the city or town you decide to park in, you can still be charged with expired stickers whether you're driving down the street or parked in your own driveway. So being on private property doesn't necessarily prove anything.

I'm not sure if you live in Quebec or were just passing through. Some places will offer an early resolution over the phone if you live a certain distance away. If you're not anywhere near the courthouse, it's probably your best bet.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

can the OP ignore this?

can he be extradited for want of another word, as it is in a different province, unless of course he has a good reason to go back to quebec

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

bobajob wrote:can the OP ignore this?

can he be extradited for want of another word, as it is in a different province, unless of course he has a good reason to go back to quebec

I wouldn't go down that road, these things have a habit of coming back to haunt you later on in life.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/new-brunsw ... -1.2314327
bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

wow

on that post somone quoted

"Justice delayed is justice denied. Twenty year old tickets must have a statute of limitations under the law"

ynotp wrote:
bobajob wrote:can the OP ignore this?

I wouldn't go down that road, these things have a habit of coming back to haunt you later on in life.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/new-brunsw ... -1.2314327
--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

I would just have fought it with Charter argument of right to speedy trial!

But I am not suggesting the poster of this thread should ignore the ticket. Quebec and Ontario have reciprocal agreements so it will probably show up in Ontario.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
screeech

by: screeech on

Yes, it may show up on his Ontario licence, but there are no points. It is a much better thing to deal with the matter and be done with it, by either fighting it or just paying the fine. These things do not go away. If a conviction is registered and the fine not paid, the drivers licence will be suspended. There are no statutes of limitations on suspensions, it will hang over the person, forever. Not a big problem if you will never be going back into Qc. But, if you do, 10, 15, 30 years down the road and get caught, you will be charged for driving under suspension, and your vehicle may be impounded...That is the way it is here and I would imagine it is the same in Qc.

Post a Reply