Can Anyone Answer These Questions About Driving?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, hwybear, Reflections, admin, Decatur, bend

z24driver86

Can Anyone Answer These Questions About Driving?

Unread post by z24driver86 »

Hey peeps, I got some questions and I want to have them answered IMMEDIATELY!! LOL JK

Ok here goes nothing!

1) Can a car doing a "Pittsburgh Left" be charged with street racing? and if someone was to go on the green light and hit the car doing the "Pittsburgh Left", who would be at fault? A Pittsburgh left is when a car doing a left hand turn races to beat the cars going straight after the lights turn green.

2) If there are 2 right hand turn lanes, can one turn right on a red light from the left right hand turn lane into the left lane?

3) If you were an officer and you saw someone texting at a red light would you charge them? Is there any loop holes for this law?

4) Can you make a right hand turn on a red light during an advance left green arrow? I see people do it all the time in front of police but I'm pretty sure its illegal.

hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

z24driver86 wrote:

1) Can a car doing a "Pittsburgh Left" be charged with street racing? and if someone was to go on the green light and hit the car doing the "Pittsburgh Left", who would be at fault? A Pittsburgh left is when a car doing a left hand turn races to beat the cars going straight after the lights turn green.

Yes, it is Stunt Driving, HTA OREG 455/07 sec 3( 8 )(iv)

2) If there are 2 right hand turn lanes, can one turn right on a red light from the left right hand turn lane into the left lane?

HTA 144(19) allows you to turn on a red light (provided there is no green arrow and give right of way to approaching traffic)

HTA 141(3) in multiple lanes turning right you must turn into the corresponding lane

so with those 2 sections I would say YES, you can turn right in that scenario

3) If you were an officer and you saw someone texting at a red light would you charge them? Is there any loop holes for this law?

Yes, in order to be exempt a vehicle must be in compliance with all these:

- motor vehicle is off the roadway or is lawfully parked on the roadway

- motor vehicle is not in motion

- motor vehicle is not impeding traffic

HTA 78.1

4) Can you make a right hand turn on a red light during an advance left green arrow? I see people do it all the time in front of police but I'm pretty sure its illegal.

You can not turn right.......when a green arrow in combination with a circular red light, must only follow the direction of the green arrow. HTA 144(14)

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca