A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

serpent

Advise Please, First Time Fighting Tickets.

by: serpent on

A few months ago i was pulled over and given 2 tickets.

Fail to Notify Change of Address - section 9 (2) Highway Act

Fail to Notify change of Address - Licence - Section 33(1) Highway Act

Section 33(1) of Highway Act is for failure to surrender license. Should i have got this?

I filed for trial and received first attendance for

section 9(2) not changing address and

section 33(1) failure to surrender driver license

Then just the other day when picking up disclosure, which i requested my phone btw... A cop followed down a side road which i used to turn around as i had made a wrong turn and was kinda lost. He followed me a bit more and pulled me over. Gave all the stuff to him, including license updated to a different city i currently live in. He asked if i was lost which was obvious. I said yeah, i was picking up disclosure at the crown office and got turned around. He said my tickets weren't on record and asked to see my disclosure, he kept looking in the back trying to see my paper work. He kept insisting on seeing something so i gave him the first attendance notices, not that the disclosure had anything other than police notes but he shouldn't be asking for that stuff. He let me go with directions after. He sat in his cruiser for awhile, might be the same cop, would explain why he pulled me over, my car is memorable you could say. Does that little story tell anything? The comments of his, "your tickets aren't on record", and "let me see that, i haven't seen one of those before" were quite out of place. He was asking when i received the tickets, if it was maybe a OPP officer that pulled me over. Lots of stuff, would anything he asked there be permissible in court?

Questions.

1.) How many tickets should i actually have here?

2.) Should i fight or try to plea something?

3.) Should i request disclosure again properly this time?

4.) What qualifies as a address when your staying somewhere? If i changed my address every time i stayed somewhere 6 days i'd have a drawer of 30 drivers licenses with all different addresses, well i wouldn't cause i wouldn't be there when the license got there!

5.) If that is the same cop pulling me over, could he use information from the recent pull over in court for the tickets.

Any help here would be appreciated. Also, i don't live in the city where i received the tickets, but i go there sometimes so traveling isn't that much of a issue.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

serpent wrote: first Then just the other day when picking up disclosure, which i requested my phone btw... A cop followed down a side road which i used to turn around as i had made a wrong turn and was kinda lost. He followed me a bit more and pulled me over. Gave all the stuff to him, including license updated to a different city i currently live in. He asked if i was lost which was obvious. I said yeah, i was picking up disclosure at the crown office and got turned around. He said my tickets weren't on record and asked to see my disclosure, he kept looking in the back trying to see my paper work. He kept insisting on seeing something so i gave him the first attendance notices, not that the disclosure had anything other than police notes but he shouldn't be asking for that stuff. He let me go with directions after. He sat in his cruiser for awhile, might be the same cop, would explain why he pulled me over, my car is memorable you could say. Does that little story tell anything? The comments of his, "your tickets aren't on record", and "let me see that, i haven't seen one of those before" were quite out of place. He was asking when i received the tickets, if it was maybe a OPP officer that pulled me over. Lots of stuff, would anything he asked there be permissible in court?.

All the above has NOTHING to do with your outstanding tickets (the 2 tickets you are going to court for). People do try to plan out B&E and this is good preventative measures by police for stopping a vehicle driving aimlessly down a street. I have never seen what is sent for disclosure before either, don't think to see it is out of place. If the officer checked you driving history, correct again, the tickets won't be on a record.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply