Guiltygirl03

Unintentionally Failed To Stop For A School Bus

by: Guiltygirl03 on

I want to point out first of all that I am a G2 driver, today though as I was driving my friend to her Mom on my way home I had unintentionally failed to stop for a school bus I was driving about 50km/h which was the speed limit in that area and there was the school bus coming it was stopping although it had it's flashing red but the stop sign had not come out yet I accidently went through it as soon as I was a distance away that was when the stop sign had started to come out and the bus door was opening, I really only realized that I had drove through the lights when I was the distance away I felt so guilty and terrible as to what I had done and had stopped on the side of the road outside of that town. I'm worried because I've had a very clean record for the short while that I've had my G2 liscence and now I'm worried as to how it's gonna affect me and my parents because at the moment I'm under their insurance and I don't want anything to affect them I know that if you have 6 demerit points for a G2 driver that's enough to get an interview so I'm very worried as to if the bus driver had noted down my plate number even though there are many drivers that don't have enough time to note it down all the time. but I really do feel guilty about what I've done and if I have to I'm willing to admit my fault because I know what I did was wrong of me

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

1) School bus drivers are pretty aware of their surroundings. They're not going to expect incoming traffic to immediately halt on the drop of a dime with a flick of the lights. It sounds like the driver was aware and waited for you to clear before throwing the sign out.

2) If you were not pulled over at the scene, the owner of the vehicle would likely be charged since no one is going to know who was driving. There's no demerit points and no insurance implications.

3) If you were indeed charged at the scene, you wouldn't need to worry about an interview because you'd already be suspended for 30 days upon conviction. Since you're a G2 driver, perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the Novice Driving Escalating Sanctions.

OTD Legal

Posting Awards

by: OTD Legal on

Guiltygirl03 wrote:I want to point out first of all that I am a G2 driver, today though as I was driving my friend to her Mom on my way home I had unintentionally failed to stop for a school bus I was driving about 50km/h which was the speed limit in that area and there was the school bus coming it was stopping although it had it's flashing red but the stop sign had not come out yet I accidently went through it as soon as I was a distance away that was when the stop sign had started to come out and the bus door was opening, I really only realized that I had drove through the lights when I was the distance away I felt so guilty and terrible as to what I had done and had stopped on the side of the road outside of that town. I'm worried because I've had a very clean record for the short while that I've had my G2 liscence and now I'm worried as to how it's gonna affect me and my parents because at the moment I'm under their insurance and I don't want anything to affect them I know that if you have 6 demerit points for a G2 driver that's enough to get an interview so I'm very worried as to if the bus driver had noted down my plate number even though there are many drivers that don't have enough time to note it down all the time. but I really do feel guilty about what I've done and if I have to I'm willing to admit my fault because I know what I did was wrong of me

Unfortunately, due to your licence being a G2 licence by offence date, you will also be subject to escalated sanctions penalties:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... .8.1.shtml

If this is your first offence for 4 or greater demerit points for a single offence, this would trigger a mandatory 30 day suspension of your licence in addition to the standard court, mto, and insurance penalties that would be faced by a driver with a full G licence. If you were not charged at the scene by a police officer, it is possible that they will come back to charge your mother or father as the owner, but not necessarily the driver of the vehicle. The alternate offence carries no demerit points, but would still result in a record of conviction for their driving record and insurance. It is also possible that the officer could attend their address to ask questions before deciding how to proceed and who to charge.

The content of this post is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be provided after a licenced paralegal has been retained, spoken with you directly, and reviewed the documents related to your case.
OTD Legal

Posting Awards

by: OTD Legal on

bend wrote:

2) If you were not pulled over at the scene, the owner of the vehicle would likely be charged since no one is going to know who was driving. There's no demerit points and no insurance implications.

I would be cautious of this statement. The OP and his family would be best to speak with their broker in regards to this issue. Being charged as the owner of the vehicle still results in a record of conviction for their driving history and indicates that the vehicle has been used in an unsafe manner.

The content of this post is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be provided after a licenced paralegal has been retained, spoken with you directly, and reviewed the documents related to your case.
Post a Reply