natalie456

Accidentally Failed To Stop For A School Bus

by: natalie456 on

this morning on my way to work, I saw a school bus driving towards me and slowing down, I could see on my left where the stop was where it would be picking up the kids. Based on my speed, I would have reached the bus stop at the same time as the bus, leaving not enough room between myself and the bus to top, so I proceeded slowly (maybe 35 km/h).

The bus had its flashing lights on but wasnt stopped yet, and the stop sign wasnt folded out. When I passed the bus, the driver honked. Further down the road I reached a 4 way intersection where I stopped and noticed the car behind me take a picture of the back of my car (its possible he wasnt but he was holding the phone up above the steering wheel, pointing straight ahead so im assuming it was at me). No police officers witnessed the event.

After doing some research I am very aware I am the one at fault here, and that I could face up to 2000$ in fines and 6 demerit points.

In the event that the bus driver or other witness reports me, the only ticket I would get would be one as the registered vehicle owner since they can't prove who the driver was (I had my hair pulled back and big sunglasses on too at the time)???

SO does this mean that I would receive a ticket in the mail, for 490$ or whatever the fine is, but NO demerit points, NO record on my licence and NO insurance penalties? Since they can only charge me as the owner and not the driver?

Also can this fine be payed online? Im not going to try and fight it since I know im at fault.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

natalie456 wrote:SO does this mean that I would receive a ticket in the mail, for 490$ or whatever the fine is, but NO demerit points, NO record on my licence and NO insurance penalties? Since they can only charge me as the owner and not the driver?

Correct.

Just to ask: Was the bus stopped when you passed it or was it still moving?

Yes the ticket can be paid on-line or by mailing in a cheque, should you get the ticket.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
mojo1971

by: mojo1971 on

Hello,

First of all I appreciate contributors in this forum as this gave me a huge opportunity to learn a lot about HTA. I recently had a similar situation as this thread so I would appreciate if someone could clarify this ( In my case, I got the offence as owner of the vehicle under HTA 175(19))-

What's the difference paying the ticket on without asking for early resolution or pay after meeting the prosecutor on early resolution? Have I not accepted the charge against me on both cases? Also, is it possible to confirm if I would be getting any demerit points or not from the early resolution meeting?

Thanks,

whaddyaknow

Posting Awards

by: whaddyaknow on

mojo1971 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm

What's the difference paying the ticket on without asking for early resolution or pay after meeting the prosecutor on early resolution? Have I not accepted the charge against me on both cases?

No difference. At the early resolution meeting you might get the prosecutor to agree to a reduced fine.... or not...

mojo1971 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Also, is it possible to confirm if I would be getting any demerit points or not from the early resolution meeting?

When charged as the owner, you will never get any demerits.

As a general note, demerits are an administrative penalty assigned by the MTO. The prosecution / justice / etc., have no connection to demerits.

In your case, unless there is undue financial hardship, I would just pay the ticket and move on.

Post a Reply