Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
sonnyroll

No Right Turn - Disobey Sign

by: sonnyroll on

Hi There,

I was driving on Eglinton W and turn right on Strathearn (near Eglinton/Allen Road). There was a no right turn (from 3pm to 7pm) sign which I didn't see.

The cop was waiting there, apparently nobody sees the signs but they are there.

I don't believe I have much to do here but, trying to find a way... I discover that Regulation 615 (R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 21 (2); O. Reg. 332/98, s. 2 (1); O. Reg. 339/09, s. 15 (2) - No clue what all the other letters mean) specifies the dimensions of the sign http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... _e.htm#BK6, in addition, the regulation says:

"The dimensions of a sign may be greater than the dimensions prescribed and illustrated in this Regulation so long as each dimension is increased and, when increased, has the same relation to the other dimensions of the sign as the dimensions prescribed and illustrated in this Regulation have to each other. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 44."

Well, looking at the pictures of the sign, I can clearly see that the separation between the text line don't have the same relation to the other dimensions (you can check it on Google if you wish). What I see is that the separation is less than specified.

I know I can read the sign well, but do you think this discrepancy with Reg 165 gives me any chance to win? Please let me know your thoughts (and if you have any other suggestion or strategy to fight this ticket please let me know too)

I just came back from the court and requested a trial (an an interpreter to make them work)

Thanks.

tdottopcop

by: tdottopcop on

Request disclosure and go from there.

And don't use a "language barrier" as a means to assist you in avoiding getting penalized for breaking the law, unless you really do require it. Pretty despicable in my opinion, and costs everybody in the city of Toronto extra expense through taxes as a result of paying the interpreter (they are paid for each matter they assist with, they are not just getting paid while sitting around all day at court waiting for the likes of you).

No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
sonnyroll

Actually, there is a language barrier... even though I can speak English with no problems my level is not as good as a native English speaker, in particular when considering the legal language used in court.

I requested disclosure via fax today. Assuming I don't get it, should I do this 3 or 4 times before the trial date to show my interest in moving things forward?

Does anyone have any idea if the discrepancies between the sign and the Regulation 615 (R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 21 (2); O. Reg. 332/98, s. 2 (1); O. Reg. 339/09, s. 15 (2) can get this ticket dropped?

Thanks.

sonnyroll

I sent a fax requesting disclosure and exactly one week later I received a letter informing that the disclosure is ready to be picked up at the Prosecutor's Office.

Does anyone have to go and pick up the disclosure at the Prosecutor's office? What happens there? Can I negotiate something right there? What if I'm not satisfied with the disclosure because there are missing items? How should I proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Post a Reply