Disobey Sign - (hta 182 (2))

Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
vwprince

Disobey Sign - (hta 182 (2))

Unread post by vwprince »

Hi, I am new to this forum and found lots of interesting posts. Wondering if someone could provide some advice.

I was recently written 2 tickets which I do not feel are valid:

Ticket 1 - Disobey sign (Cannot turn left from 7-9am). I am pretty sure I turned after 9, but the officer insisted it was like 8:50 something. Anyway, upon reading the ticket after, I discovered that the officer wrote the ticket at 9:26am! There is no way it takes him half an hour to write the ticket, so I am thinking this may be a potential flaw that I could argue in court? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Ticket 2 - No valid permit. This one is even more retarded. He asked me to provide my license and ownership, which I did. Upon taking the ownership, he said it was incomplete. I asked him what was missing and he couldn't tell me. I said, all the ownership info is there (according to Highway Traffic Act, it needs to show vehicle make, model, owner info, and validation stickers, which it all showed). After, he said if I want I can go ask for an appeal the prosecutor or look it up myself online.

Any ideas on how I should handle these 2 tickets? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

The time on the ticket should be the time of the offence. If it falls outside the prohibited hours I'd say you have a very good defence against the charge. I'd also argue that if the prohibited turn occured at an intersection, it should fall under section 144(9) - Proceed Contrary to Sign at Intersection.

As for the second offence, you'll probably need to request disclosure to see what the officer feels was missing (not sure why he wouldn't tell you). The most common problem I see is a missing validation sticker on the back of the paper permit that matches the sticker on your plate.

vwprince

Unread post by vwprince »

Thanks for the feedback Stanton.

I feel the same regarding ticket 1, as it doesn't make sense why he would not be ticketing me during the prohibited 7-9am time frame. For this, should I also request disclosure to see what the officer's notes says? How do I request disclosure?

For ticket 2, I am not sure why he could not tell me. He only mentioned that I can appeal to the prosecutor by bringing the ownership that I showed him to the prosecutor.

Based on the two tickets above, what would you be your recommended course of action? Meet with prosecutor for early resolution? or Choose to defend on trial? (I have not attended trial before and I am nervous of whether that is the right course of action). Any advice?

Thanks.