JEABOI

Speeding Tickets Effects On Insurance

by: JEABOI on

Recently received a 4 demerit point speeding ticket for going 71 in a 40 construction zone with workers. Cop lowered it to a single speeding ticket worth 4 demerit points. I was driving my parents' car and they were present with me but I am not insured under the vehicle's policy. I will fight the ticket but I was more concerned about the insurance rates.

Will their insurance rate go up as a result of the ticket?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

If you are not listed on your parents policy, then in theory it should not affect their policy. But if you are listed at the same address as them, then it might. So what I am saying is I am not sure how to answer your question!

You should probably plead NOT GUILTY and ask for Trial with Officer present. Once you get notice of trial, request disclosure (officers notes, radar manual, audio/video). Once you get disclosure then post it here and we will help you with next steps.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

jsherk wrote:If you are not listed on your parents policy, then in theory it should not affect their policy. But if you are listed at the same address as them, then it might. So what I am saying is I am not sure how to answer your question!

Anyone living under the same residence has to be listed as an occasional driver. Otherwise, you have to fill out an exclusion form.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

only what I've been told by my insurance,

me and wife drive each others car and live in same house,

my tickets don't effect wife and wife's ticket don't effect me

"whether" they do real world is another story but that's what Meloche Monnex advised me

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

bobajob wrote:only what I've been told by my insurance,

"whether" they do real world is another story but that's what Meloche Monnex advised me

I suggest you speak to someone else from your provider and confirm either your wife or yourself is listed as an occasional before the non policy holder gets into an accident. In my opinion, whatever that person told you doesn't add up. Anyone listed as an occasional driver with accidents and/or tickets will certainly impact the whole policy.

All residents holding a license within the same residence need to be listed as an occasional driver on the policy, whether they are a son/daughter/girlfriend/wife. The thought process is that drivers within the same household are obviously more likely to borrow vehicles on a regular basis, therefore the insurance provider needs to calculate the risk of that person who has frequent use of that vehicle. That includes taking into account their history.

The only way to get around this is to fill out an exclusion form. The excluded individual will not be able to use your vehicle and will not be insured while driving your vehicle at any point or time.

If there is an accident and the driver lives in the same address without being on the policy, it will be a problem. Your provider is going to ask why they aren't listed and they may deny your claim.

If the person using your vehicle does not live at the same address, they do not need to be on the policy. In that circumstance, you are essentially lending out your own insurance record. If they get into an accident, it becomes your accident.

JEABOI wrote:Recently received a 4 demerit point speeding ticket for going 71 in a 40 construction zone with workers. Cop lowered it to a single speeding ticket worth 4 demerit points. I was driving my parents' car and they were present with me but I am not insured under the vehicle's policy. I will fight the ticket but I was more concerned about the insurance rates.

If you're not sharing the same address and are not labelled as an occasional driver on the policy, the answer is no. It wont impact their insurance but it will surely impact your own. Had it been an accident rather than a speeding ticket, then yes. The insurance provider would treat the accident as if the policy holder was behind the wheel.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

Hey Bend,

I actually wrote off my car a couple of months ago and they paid up.

we have 2 cars; my car I am primary and wife secondary; wifes car she is primary and I am secondary

my wife has "incidents" and me too, actually I think the policy is under her name, because the discounts are under her company.

We where told multiple times on several different occasions by different agents that

any claims on my wifes car doesnt effect mine and vise versa,

but they DID say that if she say was refused insurance (too many at faults) then that would effect me and I would be refused and vise-versa

on renewals we really havent noticed any differance on each others policies regardless of what has happened to each others cars

The insurance company, has visibility of both insurances (we have 2 "separate" policies "pinks" with 2 separate policy numbers) but when I ring through with EITHER

policy to update, they always make me verify my wife's details

I really don't understand Canadian Insurance TBH, all I do, is tell them of any changes, wife does the same,

we pay our premiums and claim as and when... so far it's worked?

If the person using your vehicle does not live at the same address, they do not need to be on the policy. In that circumstance, you are essentially lending out your own insurance record. If they get into an accident, it becomes your accident.

that's good to know, so say If I'm selling my car, assume driver has to have my permission obviously, and other driver as you say if they have an accident, will go on my record

if I have a fully comp insurance would the car still be covered or only 3rd parties

(in the UK - we have a similar but the driver would only have 3rd party cover on my car)

coolski ! :)

bend wrote:
bobajob wrote:only what I've been told by my insurance,

I suggest you speak to someone else from your provider and confirm either your wife or yourself is listed as an occasional before the non policy holder gets into an accident. In my opinion, whatever that person told you doesn't add up. Anyone listed as an occasional driver with accidents and/or tickets will certainly impact the whole policy.

All residents holding a license within the same residence need to be listed as an occasional driver on the policy, whether they are a son/daughter/girlfriend/wife. The thought process is that drivers within the same household are obviously more likely to borrow vehicles on a regular basis, therefore the insurance provider needs to calculate the risk of that person who has frequent use of that vehicle. That includes taking into account their history.

The only way to get around this is to fill out an exclusion form. The excluded individual will not be able to use your vehicle and will not be insured while driving your vehicle at any point or time.

If there is an accident and the driver lives in the same address without being on the policy, it will be a problem. Your provider is going to ask why they aren't listed and they may deny your claim.

JEABOI wrote:Recently received a 4 demerit point speeding ticket for going 71 in a 40 construction zone with workers. Cop lowered it to a single speeding ticket worth 4 demerit points. I was driving my parents' car and they were present with me but I am not insured under the vehicle's policy. I will fight the ticket but I was more concerned about the insurance rates.

If you're not sharing the same address and are not labelled as an occasional driver on the policy, the answer is no. It wont impact their insurance but it will surely impact your own. Had it been an accident rather than a speeding ticket, then yes. The insurance provider would treat the accident as if the policy holder was behind the wheel.

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Post a Reply