A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
sarahhff

72 Km/h In A 50 Zone, Reduced To 65km/h

by: sarahhff on

I got pulled over last week for speeding in Brampton. The officer said I was going 72 km/h in a 50 km/h zone, took my license and insurance and went back to her car. She said she had to give me a ticket automatically because it was a complaint zone, but she reduced it to say I was going 65 (though the ticket cites the reduction).

I'm worried about the impact on my insurance since it's a brand new policy. I'm a primary driver on one of my mom's cars under her insurance policy and don't want to have a massive increase in premium as I'm only 19.

Should I fight the ticket? By fighting it, there is a possibility it could get worse (increased to 72) which is my reservation about taking it to trial. Also, if it does get increased, I'll get 3 demerit points; does this affect my insurance any differently than no points?

Never been in a situation like this before, my first ticket

Any advice?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

sarahhff wrote:By fighting it, there is a possibility it could get worse (increased to 72) which is my reservation about taking it to trial.

Correct, if it goes all the way to trial. It's not just a possibility, it's almost guaranteed.

sarahhff wrote:Also, if it does get increased, I'll get 3 demerit points; does this affect my insurance any differently than no points?

Points are for the Ministry. Insurance companies don't usually care about points. They know you were convicted of speeding and that's all they really care about. There's a chance they'll let your first offense slide. It all depends on the insurance company. If you have any questions regarding your insurance, you can always call them anonymously.

Post a Reply