A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

If you obtain disclosure first you can see what he wrote in his notes. That will give you an idea of what he will testify to in court. Then you can make a more informed decision of what you want to bring up if you decide to invoke your right to a trial.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

IBeCurious wrote:oh i forgot to mention it being my first speeding ticket i asked the officer just out of curiosity how much dermit points will i be effected after paying this fine.. he said "I dont know" lol are they sopose to know??

Nope MTO issue not policing one.

OPS Copper

IBeCurious

by: IBeCurious on

General Question, I Hope Someone Has An Accurate Answers.. Can A Cop Pull You Over & Write You A Ticket Even Though I Dont Believe He Has a Radar Reading? For Example: The Cop Pulls Me Over And States: "It Looks Like You Were Going About 110 KPH In A 60 Zone" But Only Issues Me A Ticket For Going 20 Over In A 60 Zone (Reduced)

Just Something I Thought Of As I've Filed For A Court Date..

Cause I Read Alot Of Things Stating The Cop Will Need Evidence And Not Hearsay..

All I Know Is 1 Minute We're waiting for the stop light to turn green.. it turns green i go through the lights jump in the passing lane to pass a slow moving driver.. then boom 2 seconds later flashing lights Mr. Law Inforcement :evil:

Help Please.. Is This Something i Can Use Against The Officer If He Indeed Doesnt Have An Accurate Reading Of My Speed? :?:

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

A visual observation is not hearsay. But to answer your question, a visual observation is not sufficient evidence to lay a speeding charge. An approved speed measuring device must be used to confirm the officer's visual observations that the vehicle was traveling above the posted speed limit.

Pacing is also an approved way of measuring speed - perhaps that's what the officer was doing. You will have to see what his notes allege when you receive disclosure.

IBeCurious

thanks for replying.. i read up on this site about pacing im not sure how accurate it is but it quotes "the officer must fallow my vehicle over a measured distance at a constant speed." the site is http://www.ontariospeeding.com/Speeding ... acing.html

how ever i do know for a fact the officer was not pacing me, and that he pulled me over as i got into his lane to go around the vehicle infront of me which was the passing lane.. after going pass the slower vehicle thats when i was stopped...

but thanks for the insight actually helps me a bit.. guess i gotta wait for the disclosure just to be sure.. 8)

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

That is correct, an officer has to follow you for a measured distance, however that distance does not have to be exact, nor does the speed have to be constant.

Also, an officer can pace you from a different lane, as long as they are running parallel to you and the distance remains constant.

IBeCurious

understandable... but he wasnt around us he only cought up to the cars as we were waiting for the light to turn green.. and up untill that red light i was going the speed limit matter of fact slower than other cars.. then i get pulled over as i pick up speed to go around a slower movin car but like i said ill wait for the disclosure..

thanks

IBeCurious

oh by the way do i have to file for the disclosure after i recieve my court date or can i file for it sooner?? sorry this is my first ticket & im trying to get it off my shoulder as easy as possible without dishing more money to the guv or whoever all our money is going to it cause it damn sure it aint me..

:(
Reflections

by: Reflections on

IBeCurious wrote:oh by the way do i have to file for the disclosure after i recieve my court date or can i file for it sooner?? sorry this is my first ticket & im trying to get it off my shoulder as easy as possible without dishing more money to the guv or whoever all our money is going to it cause it damn sure it aint me..

:(

Take your web browser over too http://www.ticketcombat.com and some or most of your questions can be answered. Also, do a search here for whatever your can think of, lots of first time ticket receivers have been here before.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
IBeCurious

Just a general question.. im still waiting for a letter of some sort to come through the mail reguarding my court date... and its been a while now and nothing yet i know it could take almost a year.. i dont have my ticket with me so im not sure what it says, but i remember it saying something like if you dont recieve a court date withing 8 months to call this number, whatever that number is... i know a few people have told me sometimes they just dont recieve any court dates so they just assume it got thrown out... do you guys recommend calling the number?? or let the time fly and just assume it got thrown out?? is their a time allowance before it can get thrown out anyways because of no court date sent to me??

what do you guys think??

Post a Reply