A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
ggman8988

82km/h On 50km Road... Please Help Me... I Need This

by: ggman8988 on

Hey Guys, My name is Eric in Niagara Falls.

Originally, I was charged for 70km/h on 50km road... so it was 3 points right?

but for some reason, i thought it wouldve been much better once i mail to prosecutor to double check..

Finally, Today I received a mail that says "Will seek to amend ticket to the original speed of 82KM/H at TRIAL.

I'm shocked.. and I do not know what I should do ...

Here is my excuse - The day i got pulled over (December 13, 2012 at around 8:00 AM) was my Final Exam day (starts at 9:00AM).

so now.. If i talk to another lady (I assume that's another prosecutor in office) on the day of trial and explain that it was my EXAM day..

Do you think that she will reduce it back to 70km/h charge?? or maybe even just $40 and no points?

Thanks

Please keep eyes on me T.T

I posted this on both section, because it's kinda applied for both section.

Also I forgot to mention that I already have 3 points on my record (will be gone in 6 months)

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The speed wont be amended unless you actually have a trial in Court. If you decide to plead guilty prior to a trial, it will be for the reduced speed shown on the ticket (20 over).

Since your ticket was already reduced by the officer, its very unlikely the Crown would offer any further reduction. The fact that it was exam day wont garner any sympathy and isnt legal justification to speed.

Shannon

by: Shannon on

Hey Eric, ya it totally sucks. Prosecutors completely abuse the courts ability to amend a certificate or information. While never admitted, it is done to punish the public for exercising their right to a trial.

A certificate is only supposed to be amended "if necessary" when it appears the certificate or information:

(a) fails to state or states defectively anything that is requisite to charge the offence;

(b) does not negative an exception that should be negatived; or

(c) is in any way defective in substance or in form.

The rate of speed (whether going 20 or 25 over) does not fall into any of these areas, speeding is speeding. However, most Justices will allow the amendment. To increase the penalty because a defendant wants his day in court, is not the legislative intent of the Act......but it appears to be the new thing for prosecutors to use to get out of a trial.

Fighting a speeding ticket and winning is almost impossible, especially at the range you are in (16 - 30 over). Most are settled for a reduced fine out of court. If you go to trial, you will likely lose unless you can find an issue with how the radar gun was tested at the start of the cops shift. However, most cops understand that this is your only real play in court and will have that evidence down solid. Don't forget that most cops are "coached" on giving evidence by the crown.....

ggman8988

by: ggman8988 on

Shannon wrote:Hey Eric, ya it totally sucks. Prosecutors completely abuse the courts ability to amend a certificate or information. While never admitted, it is done to punish the public for exercising their right to a trial.

A certificate is only supposed to be amended "if necessary" when it appears the certificate or information:

(a) fails to state or states defectively anything that is requisite to charge the offence;

(b) does not negative an exception that should be negatived; or

(c) is in any way defective in substance or in form.

The rate of speed (whether going 20 or 25 over) does not fall into any of these areas, speeding is speeding. However, most Justices will allow the amendment. To increase the penalty because a defendant wants his day in court, is not the legislative intent of the Act......but it appears to be the new thing for prosecutors to use to get out of a trial.

Fighting a speeding ticket and winning is almost impossible, especially at the range you are in (16 - 30 over). Most are settled for a reduced fine out of court. If you go to trial, you will likely lose unless you can find an issue with how the radar gun was tested at the start of the cops shift. However, most cops understand that this is your only real play in court and will have that evidence down solid. Don't forget that most cops are "coached" on giving evidence by the crown.....

Thanks for the answers guys

1. Is there any chance that COP MAY not show up???

2. also, if I choose to pay... do i have to wait until the trial day? or can i even pay tomorrow?

3. This is just outside question, I have school on trial day... do you think i could postpone the trial? (I already have 3 points on my record, after another year or so, this point will be deleted from the record.. so i need more time)

Please let me know one more time... Thanks

Post a Reply