Shells

Need Some Advice For My Husband

by: Shells on

My husband was pulled over in London, ON driving under suspension in 2001. We live in Ottawa, ON. He didn't deal with the charge at the time. About 5 years ago we went to the MTO to pay all outstanding fines, (the reason his licence was suspended in the first place). He has not gotten his licence since and is not driving. Today we got a call from the London OPP telling him that there is an outstanding warrant for him and told him to turn himself in, he will be processed and then a court date will be set for London.

Do we need to find a lawyer? Is there not a statute of limitations on this? He hasn't been hiding, we have lived in the same place since 1998. We also thought we had taken care of all of the offences. Wouldn't the MTO have told him about this?

Where do we go from here?

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

You should clarify whether this is a warrant in the 1st instance, in which case he has a court date to appear at, or if this is a warrant of committal as punishment for driving suspended. If the latter, there is no court date, you go straight to jail. In either case, I think it would be a good idea to consult a lawyer.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply