led

Please Reply , Really Worried :(

by: led on

Hi, i recently sold my car a month ago in ontario, canada. when selling my car i took off my plates and i signed the seller part and gave it to the guy who was buying my car. After a month an officer came to my house handing me a summon for haveing no insurance. this happened because the guy has not transferred the car on his name yet? what should ido? any body who had the similar experience?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Ontarios vehicle registration system is problematic in this regard. If a buyer fails to register a vehicle upon purchase, the seller can remain on the hook.

Did you advise the officer who charged you of the fact that you had sold the vehicle? Youre going to want to find some type of documentation (i.e. receipts, proof of payments) that supports the fact you sold the vehicle. Youll also probably want to attend a Service Ontario centre with that same documentation where you can register the sale of your vehicle. The vehicle will still remain in your name, but it will help document the sale to prevent future headaches.

MegaSilver

by: MegaSilver on

I got bit by this too. I purchased the "Used Vehicle Information Package" and gave it a read through. I followed all the steps outlined in the package when I sold the car. Then, just like you, I get a call from the police a few months later about that car. The 19 year old guy didn't register the car.

Fortunatly for me, I was being contacted because the girlfriend of the guy I sold it to was saying she bought it and not him. I had not documentation on who I sold it to, other than the initial email from him asking to take a look at it.

When I ended up doing was going to the MTO and marking the vehicle as unplated. They wouldn't let me take my name off of it.

I have not heard anything since, and that was about 3 years ago.

led

Thank you guys for your replies.

@ STANTON: I did told the officer that i have already sold the car and all they said was you will have to tell all this in court or to the prosecutor.

Secondly, i do have an evidence o payment by the cash he gave i deposited it the same day and thats the same day i got my insurance cancelled. I mean i called them and cancelled it because i sold my car. I guess this cancellation letter of insurance and my bank and the an eye witness would be good enough to proof. that is what i have been told by officers to calm down and it will work. hopefully it does :( Any more opinions?

led

Thank you guys for your replies.

@ STANTON: I did told the officer that i have already sold the car and all they said was you will have to tell all this in court or to the prosecutor.

Secondly, i do have an evidence o payment by the cash he gave i deposited it the same day and thats the same day i got my insurance cancelled. I mean i called them and cancelled it because i sold my car. I guess this cancellation letter of insurance and my bank and the an eye witness would be good enough to proof. that is what i have been told by officers to calm down and it will work. hopefully it does :( Any more opinions?

Post a Reply

Return to “Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act”