bb2013

Parking Lot Accident

by: bb2013 on

Hi new here looking for some advice

I was recently involved in an accident in a parking lot here in Ontario.

The vehicle infront of me was not paying attention and abruptly slammed their brakes (believe they seen a pedestrian last second.) I tried to stop in time but was unable to.

Both Vehicles had dented bumpers.

A motor Vehicle accident report was filed when the police showed up.

I believe the other party is going to go through insurance.

I already pay high insurance rates I do not want me insurance to go up.

My questions are

Do I have to call my insurance? Do I have to File a claim? Can I fix my car myself? Who will be to blame for this accident?

Thanks

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

1) You'd have to check your policy, but many companies require you to report all accidents.

2 & 3) Most likely you could pay out of pocket to repair both vehicles yourself.

4) Even though you can't be charged on private property, insurance fault determination rules still apply. You're 100% at fault when you strike someone from behind.

Passing Thru

by: Passing Thru on

Lol, why is it they weren't paying attention? It sounds like they avoided their collision with the pedestrian. Sounds more like you weren't paying attention because you hit them!

To answer your questions you probably should call your insurance company to let them know because the other persons company will probably contact yours and as Stanton said most companies require you to inform them of any collision regardless of severity. You don't want it to look like you are hiding it. You don't have to file a claim though. Telling them is not the claim. You are still going to be 100% at fault though according to the insurance company.

Post a Reply