mting3

Not My Lucky Night. Random Pull Over And 3 Tickets Later!!!

by: mting3 on

Hello Everyone,

I would really appreciate some advice right now. I have not been in this kind of trouble before and I'm really worried to think what lies ahead. First of all I would like to give you a brief background of myself. I am 26 years old, married, no children, no criminal record and clean driving record for over 6 years.

I have a dilemma, I lived in the states for a couple of years and acquired an Illinois Drivers License while I was there. I financed a vehicle for 6 years and the payments are done in May 2014. I went back to Canada to finish my studies and graduated College in April 2010. I brought my car to Ontario because I didn't have transportation to use at that time.

Since graduating, I have found a job here instead of the tough economy in the states. I decided to live here with my wife in apartment in Mississauga, Ontario. I purchased a cheap vehicle (95 Honda Civic) to get around with my wife and still have my other car with me from the states.

My Honda Civic just broke down a couple of days ago, so I decided to tow the car to my friends house to change the engine. While heading back home using my states car at night I got pulled over by police. I haven't driven my states car for a couple of months now, so I haven't updated any insurance copies to show the police.

I panic and got a little intimidated by the 2 cops, So when they ask me where I was going, I said "to my friends place". They took my Illinois Drivers License and Insurance card which was not updated and expired in Jan 2011.

They started asking me questions like how long I stayed here and when I'm planning to go back to Illinois? I told them possibly in the next couple of weeks. (I was planning to sell my states car because gas prices were to high)

They came back and said that my Insurance Card was expired. I told them I apologize but I forget to print the new one they sent me via email. They went back to the cop car and stayed there for almost 20-30 minutes.

They walked up to my car and issued me 3 tickets!

1) Owner operate motor vehicle - no insurance Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act 2(1)(a)

2) Posses more than one licence Highway Traffic Act 35(1)(e)

3) Drive Motor Vehicle - no permit Highway Traffic Act 7(1)(a)

I was really shocked and overwhelmed with fear that I was going to be in deep trouble with the law. I really don't know what to do and how much demerit points is there at stake?

I have insurance, I just forgot to update my current copy. I kept 2 licenses because first I had my states car when I first came here and then I got a car here which I needed a license for. The cop took my Illinois License with him. I don't understand the 3rd ticket? Drive Motor Vehicle with no permit. I have all the right documents to legally drive the car (such as registration card, sticker and insurance).

They told I had to switch the car's licence plate to Ontario within the first 6 months I was here. I didn't know that and I was thinking of switching but because I still hold a Lien on the car I don't think they will allow me to register the vehicle in another country without having full ownership. Which means I'm stuck with the car until I pay it off or sell it in the states.

My wife and I are really worried about this and I don't know how much this will cost me? I'm barely getting by as we speak. Can someone please give me some insight in what to do:-)

Much appreciated and thanks for reading my really long story.

Have a great day!

Marc

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

When you are hit with charges that have substantial fines like this, my recommendation is to seek out legal advice. It may seem costly, but the consequences can be quite severe. If you genuinely had insurance on your vehicle at the time, all you need to do is present evidence (a letter from your insurance company) that you were, in fact, insured, and that charge will be dropped. As for "possess more than one driver's licence" and "drive motor vehicle no permit," that will require some legal help. Most paralegals offer free consultations, so I would at least talk to a couple of them before you make any decisions.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

If you're vehicle is truly insured, then you will simply need to show proof of this at Court for the charge to be dismissed. That's a good thing since driving with no insurance carries huge fines. As for the second and third charge, after living in Ontario for so long you're supposed to have an Ontario licence (and not use your US one) and also register your vehicle with Ontario plates, regardless of any liens.

mting3

by: mting3 on

Yes, I just printed an updated copy of my insurance card. I will be meeting with paralegal tomorrow to seek legal advice. I feel very fortunate to have friends and family help me out during this time. I appreciate the guidance and help this forums provides for individuals like me. Thanks for the Moderator and Stanton for your kind advice.

Marc

Post a Reply