ryan-lucas

Act 85(1) Ticket Help,safety Sticker On Trailer

by: ryan-lucas on

got a ticket this afternoon on the 400 by opp.im driving a ram 3500 commercial registration (4500kg reg.weight and safetied) with a tandem axle car hauler with 2 sleds on it.i was told that the trailer needed the safety sticker because of combined weight being over 4500 kg. when i registered the trailer i was never told a safety was required but i recieved the plates. i have commercial trailers that i do safety each year because i was told it was needed. i also didnt do an inspection log(but did inspect it of course) because i was told that it was only neccessary if i was towing the commercial trailer and if the truck was over 4501kg.i inquired about all the needed logs/inspections at the mto and this is the info i recieved,according to the officer it was not correct so i got a 240.00 charge.im thinking of challenging it in court or the j of p. im very vigilant on having all the neccessary papers/certifications on all my stuff,but i recived the wrong info so in turn its costing me.any suggestions?thanks

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Annual Safety is required on truck and trailer if one of the following is met:

1) actual weight of truck PLUS actual weight of trailer is over 4500kgs

OR

2) registered gross weight of truck PLUS registered gross weight of trailer is over 4500kgs

Due to your RGW being at 4500kgs on your truck as soon as you pull any trailer it will put you over 4500kgs (#2 above), therefore the trailer will need the annual safety.

I do not think the MTO licencing bureau is responsible in asking every person that registers a trailer, what it is used for, how large a trailer, what type of vehicle is pulling it, what other types of vehicle pull it, is it going to be loaned to a friend and what type of vehicle will pull it, what is the gross weight of the pulling vehicle, etc.

CVOR, Inspection Report and Log books are only required when the truck is over 4,500kgs.

If the gross weight of a trailer is over 2800kgs, that weight must also be ADDED on the RGW of the truck.

FYI

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
ryan-lucas

thanks hwy bear for the info. the only reason im upset is because i asked the mto employee, when i registered the truck, about what was needed to make the vehicle legit and this was the info she gave me.now if she was unsure or wrong she could of directed me the right way.she did give me the number for the cvor info but said since i was under 4500 i wouldnt need it.i guess i might as well grin and bare it on this one. im actually going to safety the trailer this morning and then visit the mto enforcement office for some more info.do you know if there is a hand manual that describes all the laws and regulations for this sort of thing?

ryan-lucas

well just got back from getting the trailer safetied and the truck since its due on the 29 of jan. now on the back of my license it states "automobile combin. max. 11000kg,towed vehicle max. 4600kg" ,its a class g. now does this mean that my truck and trailer combined gvwr can be up to 11000kg without the trailer exceeding 4600kg? and my truck is registered for 4500kg so is that alright or does it have to be changed? im just fishing for some answers here but i will still visit the mto enforcement for more details that pertain to my situation.thanks

hwybear

Posting Awards

ryan-lucas wrote:now on the back of my license it states "automobile combin. max. 11000kg,towed vehicle max. 4600kg" ,its a class g. now does this mean that my truck and trailer combined gvwr can be up to 11000kg without the trailer exceeding 4600kg?

correct

my truck is registered for 4500kg so is that alright or does it have to be changed? im just fishing for some answers here but i will still visit the mto enforcement for more details that pertain to my situation.thanks

To find out how much load that you can put in your truck (only the truck)... take the RGW of 4,500kgs and then minus the vehicle weight (on left side of ownership). This resulting # will be how MAXIMUM load (cargo and passengers) you are able to carry in the truck.

You would only need to increase the 4,500kgs, IF..

1) your trailer gross weight is over 2800kgs or

2) load (cargo and passengers) will be higher than your calculation above

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
ryan-lucas

ok im starting to get somewhere now,thanks hwybear. i hope you don't mind my ignorance but i want to be sure of this.

now if the truck passengers/cargo is under 4500kg im good to hook a trailer that is under 2800kg gvwr(with full load on it) and i will have no issues as long as the trailer is safetied ,which it is now.

now i also have a commercial trailer that i use for work with all my equiptment and supplies in and if i remember correct it is registered at 920kg actual weight(because it was built by me and theres no manufacturer to state the gvwr) it has 2 3500lbs axles under it.so is it a 7000lbs(3200kg)gvwr OR is it that as long as i don't exceed 2800kg total actual weight with it loaded im legit to tow it?thanks again

hwybear

Posting Awards

ryan-lucas wrote:

now if the truck passengers/cargo is under 4500kg im good to hook a trailer that is under 2800kg gvwr(with full load on it) and i will have no issues as long as the trailer is safetied ,which it is now.

correct...as long as the trailer "gross weight" in not over 2800kgs.

now i also have a commercial trailer that i use for work with all my equiptment and supplies in and if i remember correct it is registered at 920kg actual weight(because it was built by me and theres no manufacturer to state the gvwr) it has 2 3500lbs axles under it.so is it a 7000lbs(3200kg)gvwr OR is it that as long as i don't exceed 2800kg total actual weight with it loaded im legit to tow it?thanks again

The gross weight (GW) will be when the trailer is loaded and weighed. Take your loaded trailer to a "farm feed place" or "gravel pit" or somewhere where it actually has vehicle scales and get it weighed. Then you will get a guideline of what you need or don't. Post here if you want

Post a Reply