Careless Driving - Accident Reporting Centre

DarthVader

Careless Driving - Accident Reporting Centre

Unread post by DarthVader »

Quick question for others here.

My wife recently got into an accident where she hit the car in front of her, with no serious injuries (that we know of) on any side. There was damage to both vehicles. Despite reporting the accident on the phone to the police, no police showed up for 2.5 hours, and then both drivers left the scene of the accident.

The next day, my wife filed an accident report with the local accident reporting centre, and also reported the accident to our insurance. Not sure what the other driver did. We subsequently got a rental car as a replacement and went away for the weekend, on a short trip that was planned long ago.

Upon our return, we had a voicemail at home from a local police officer, who told us that the other driver had reported the accident to the police (again, not sure if he went to the accident reporting centre), and the officer wanted to hear from my wife.

We do not want to be charged with a careless driving charge, as she does not believe she was driving carelessly (I believe her). She left a voicemail with the officer stating the report number from the accident reporting centre and the information that he should be able to get.

Question for everyone/anyone - Is the police officer looking to speak to my wife to get more information so that he could eventually lay a careless driving charge?

Are we required by law to speak to the officer, given that we have already reported the accident details to the accident reporting centre, as required by law here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HateGettingTickets
Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

You may want to advise the officer that you already filed a report with the Collision Reporting Centre, and go from there, if you wanted to go that route. Usually, though, what I've found in these situations is that it is better to talk to the officer and tell your side of the story. If they only have one side, that usually does not bode well for the other person involved.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca