digi

Careless Charges > Early Meeting > Looking For Advice

by: digi on

Dear All,

Recently I received a ticket for careless driving after I made unsafe lane change (no collision, no property damage).

I have scheduled an early resolution meeting with a prosecutor next month. I have a copy of the disclosure. Officer‘s note is not very accurate and he is the only witness…

Do I need a paralegal assistance for the meeting? Do you think the paralegal will be able to negotiate a better deal with prosecution? Or I have to go my own? if yes - could you advice any?

thanks for your assistance!

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

There is another witness and that would be you. Careless is serious and therefore harder to prove. You can do something unsafe while not being careless. If you are just looking to make a deal all you have to do is ask and accept if you are offered something you are happy with. Police often overcharge so that the prosecutors has leverage in getting you to agree to be convicted rather than risk the higher charge. A good paralegal or lawyer would review all the evidence and suggest a course of action that might include calling their bluff. Do you have the stomach for it?

digi

by: digi on

ynotp, thanks a lot for the reply!

my plan is to go to early resolution meeting and ask for lower chargers.

the question is: will hiring a paralegal makes a sense? can a deal be negotiated during the meeting, or you are just offered one and you ether accept it or not? is a paralegal usually able to get lower charges then the defendant would do or not?

thanks!

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

If you only want a deal you and the paralegal will get a similar result. A good paralegal will look at disclosure and might see a good defense getting your case dismissed. The deal usually depends on what the officers notes say so a rear end collision becomes following to closely, your might become improper lane change. Personally, I'd spend the money on a good rep.

Post a Reply